National Games Secretariat for the effective monitoring of the projects for the conduct of National Games has been registered as a society under Travancore – Cochin Literary Scientific and Charitable Societies Act – 1955. The Secretariat has been functioning from its registered office at Park View, Near Museum, Thiruvananthapuram Kerala from 1st December 2008, as an autonomous body for the conduct of 35th National Games
The 35th National Games Secretariat has set out before it the following objectives:
- To take up activities and make investments through various implementing agencies/ line departments of the state government leading to: -
(a) Creation of sports infrastructure of International standard for National Games
(b) Improvement of existing sports infrastructure in Kerala
(c) Strengthening the sports policy framework and improving State Government’s long-term capacity for strategic sports planning
- To construct new sports infrastructure for conduct of National Games
- To upgrade the existing sports infrastructure in Kerala especially Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi and Kozhikode.
- To procure all types of sports equipments in consultation with state sports associations and National Federations.
- To draw up extensive skill upgradation and talent scouting programmes for sports persons and new talents in consultation with state association and National Federations.
- To develop accommodation facilities for the participants and officials of National Games – 2012 in a planned and phased manner.
- To make all arrangements for the smooth conduct of the National Games-2012 as per schedule.
- To act as an interface between the stakeholders viz Government of Kerala, Government of India, Indian Olympic Association (IOA), Kerala Olympic Association (KOA), Kerala State Sports Council and National Federations.
- To undertake all activities that may be necessary for implementation of National Games 2012, particularly for the achievement of the objectives referred to in clause-3 above.
- To create duly empowered management mechanism, through participation of various government departments and autonomous institutions including NGOs, State Associations, Indian Olympic Association etc. as may be deemed necessary for achievement of objectives of the 35th national Games Secretariat.
- To undertake innovative initiatives in areas related to architectural details and project monitoring of various sorts of infrastructure projects.
- To take suitable and experienced technical, administrative and office personnel in the National Games Secretariat on deputation subject to following the procedures laid down by the State Government.
- To make rules and regulations for conduct of activities of the National Games Secretariat and it affiliates.
- To accept grants of money, securities of property and to undertake/accept management of any endowment consistent with the objectives of the National Games Secretariat.
- To prepare periodic reports, monthly, quarterly and annual accounts of the National Games Secretariat.
- To purchase, hire, take on lease, exchange or otherwise acquire property both movable and immovable, in pursuance of objectives of National Games Secretariat with the prior approval by the Government.
- To commit expenditure as received from Government or any other source in pursuance of objectives of National Games Secretariat.
- To take all such actions, including those not mentioned above, as may be necessary for or incidental to achievements of National Games Secretariat’s objectives.