- The National Games are organized for the benefit of the sportspersons, the sports organiations, the sports technical officials and the sports administrators of India.
- The Games are to be organised economically with administrative and technical efficiency by providing decent accommodation & catering facilities to the participants besides providing the international standard competition venues and sports equipment.
- To bring awareness among the States/UTs about the necessity for creating the sports infrastructure of international specifications for raising the standard of Indian sports.
- To enable the States/UT to organize the national and international competitions thus strengthening the competition programme in the country with focus on talent identification for building the medals winning National teams in the International competitions.
- To attract the youth in large numbers for participation in sports activities.
- To improve the organiational skills of the sports administrators for staging the International multidiscipline games in India.
- To provide avenues to the persons associated with sports to acquire the latest skills in sports administration and technical developments of the discipline concerned.
- To enable the persons associated with sports to acquire the latest interpretations on the technical rules and regulations of the discipline concerned and their correct application during competition situation.
- To inculcate sports culture among the people of all walks of life and educates the people about the importance of sports to build healthy society.
- To develop and strengthen the marketing of sports in a professional way to make the sports organisations at national, state and district level self-sufficient to implement their sports developmental schemes such as talent identification and nurturing and holding competition.
- To inspire the Government and Governmental organizations to spread sports culture among their employees and the people in the neighbourhood.
- To utilise the leisure time and surplus energies of the people for constructive activities through participation and organising sports activities.